Visa Tips

1 Dec 2019General

Going on holiday this Festive Season?

Here are some useful travel tips to prevent any inconvenience during your trip!

Always sign the back of your passport.


Check dates, name, and passport number on your visa before departing.


Remember to sign your visa application form before submitting.


Give yourself sufficient time to obtain a visa before travelling.


Make sure you submit the correct requirements to obtain a visa.


Interesting Passports, Visas and Other Entry Requirements/ Facts:

Travel documents can take time to organise. Find out exactly what you need for your next trip and give yourself plenty of time –

  • Check your passport has not expired and will not expire during your trip.
  • Apply for a second passport if travelling frequently.
  • Keep copies of your passport and other travel documents, in case they are lost or stolen.
  • Carry a copy of your passport at all times, in case you are asked for personal identification.
  • Ask your Visas Zone Consultant if you require a visa for your trip?


Many countries require an entry visa or travel permit before you may enter the country. Find out if you need a visa before you leave or if you are able to get one at the point of entry (airport, land border, sea port). In most cases, you will have to apply to the Embassy or Consulate of the country you plan to visit in advance. Ensure you obtain the right visa for your trip (i.e., tourist, volunteering, study, work). Never overstay your welcome at any destination and make sure about the validity of the visa before you depart from your country of residence.

Vaccination Certificates

Some countries require evidence (in the form of a certificate) that you have had the appropriate vaccinations before you may enter the country. Check with your doctor, bearing in mind that some inoculations must be administered well in advance of travelling. Visas Zone requirements stipulate those countries requiring these inoculations.

Unabridged Birth Certificate (Obtainable at any Home Affairs Office nationally)

All minors under the age of 18 years old travelling outbound from South Africa (Citizens and Foreigners) require an Unabridged Birth Certificate. 

South African Travellers (If one parent is travelling with a child/children)

The child will need to have an Unabridged Birth Certificate, as well as the following:

  • Affidavit granting consent from the other parent (no longer than three months before the intended travel date) or;
  • A court order granting the parent full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child or;
  • A death certificate of the other parent.

South African and Foreign National Travellers (If a child is travelling without his/her parents)

The following is required:

  • Proof of consent from both of the child’s parents or legal guardians;
  • Copies of the Identity Documents or passports of the parents or legal guardians;
  • Letter from the person receiving them, including a copy of the host’s ID/ passport.


If only one parent gives consent, he or she needs to supply the following documents additionally:

  • A court order which grants the parent or legal guardian full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child;
  • The contact details of the parent or legal guardian.

Who is exempt?

The new law does not apply to children travelling domestically, i.e. between Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Other Possible Entry Requirements

  • Proof of access to sufficient funds (if you are carrying a credit card, it is advisable to carry a statement proving your credit limit
  • A return or onward ticket
  • Proof of accommodation booked for at least the first night
  • International Travel insurance (Obtainable from your travel agent or your Credit Card company if the airline ticket is purchased through this method)
Other Official Documents


Some countries require you to carry identification at all times, including proof of your immigration status in the country.

Driver’s License

Depending on where you travel, you may require only your country’s driver’s licence to drive or rent a vehicle. However, some countries require an international driving licence.

Related Notices


Notice Newsletter Subscription

If you would like to receive news about VISA updates, please sign up to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.